mercredi 5 mars 2008

Kool G Rap & Nas



Dans une interview donné au site internet HipHopDX, Kool G Rap revient sur le faite que c'est bien lui qui a introduit Nas à Serch, ce qui a engendré la signature de Nas sur Columbia Records.




Now the other Hip Hop legend I need to ask you about is Nas. “Fast Life” is arguably the best collabo track you’ve done in your career, and I understand that your relationship with Nas goes back like 18 years, that he first met MC Serch at your crib?
Yeah, he did.

So G Rap discovered Nas, not Serch?
Yeah, pretty much. The only thing that would stop G Rap from being known at the time for discovering Nas is that people brought him to me. I first met him through Large Professor. But I introduced Nas to Serch, and that’s basically what got him [his deal with Columbia Records]. That got him his situation.

So you knew he was it back then?
Oh yeah. I knew this kid had something. I knew he was special. I knew he was a talented young dude, and I was definitely willing to do anything in G Rap’s power to get him heard and to get him out there. When him and Serch met at my crib and all that, Serch was blown away by the kid. They exchanged math and all that, and then G Rap went to Cali to record an album. So everything took place [between Serch and Nas] while I was in Cali. But before I went to California I was shopping Nas’ material. I took his material to Def Jam and all that. He even mentioned that in one of his songs [“Surviving The Times”], how I took him to Def Jam and [Russell Simmons] told me he sound too much like a G Rap.

Kool G Rap feat. Nas - "Fast Life" (1995)




[Sondages]